Three Bean Minestrone
Yield: 2 quarts
Onions, small dice
Carrots, small dice
Celery, small dice
Mixed Beans, dry, soaked*
Stock, chicken or vegetable
Crust from Parmigiano 3 X 3, cleaned
Yukon Gold potatoes, small dice
Zucchini, small dice
Tomatoes, plum, canned
Kosher salt and fresh ground
- Melt butter with olive oil over low heat, add onions, and sweat until wilted and soft, about 10 minutes. Add carrots and cook 3 minutes. Add celery, soaked beans, stock, and Parmigiano rind and cook for about 45 minutes, or until the beans are al dente.
- Add diced potatoes and zucchini and cook for another 20 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices.
- Partially cover and cook at low simmer for at least 30 more minutes. Add more broth as necessary.
- Add spinach and a splash of olive oil; season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some of the grated Parmigiano.
Note: Beans need to be soaked overnight in a container with cold water to cover by 3 inch. Drain the water and use in the soup. Mixed beans can be pink, pinto, kidney, white beans, butter beans or cranberry.