Kaffir lime leaves
Fresh Thai bird chili
Sweetened shredded coconut
Ginger, peeled and finely grated with a micro-plane
Watermelon juice, strained
3 ½ cups
White rum (optional)
- Muddle the kaffir lime leaves and Thai bird chili with the sugar in a mortar and pestle until crushed and fragrant.
- Remove the leaves and chilies and reserve the sugar for the popsicle base mixture.
- In a small bowl, toss the reserved sugar with coconut and ginger. Add watermelon juice, lime juice and vanilla, and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add rum if using, and mix well.
- Fill up the popsicle molds with the watermelon mixture and place into the freezer until completely frozen, preferably overnight.
- To unmold, remove the popsicles from the freezer and let stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes, or quickly dip in warm water.
Note: Alternatively, freeze the watermelon mixture in an ice cube tray and serve these colorful and flavorful ice cubes in a beverage such as agua fresca, limeade, or a martini.