Watermelon and Avocado Mosaic with Dungeness Crab Salad
Yellow watermelon, seedless, small dice
Red watermelon, seedless, small dice
Avocados, slightly firm, small dice
- Let strained watermelon juice sit refrigerated for 1 to 2 hours until the solids have settled to the bottom. Decant the clear juice from the top leaving the solids behind.
- Combine decanted watermelon juice, gelatin, lemon juice, and salt in a sauce pot and simmer until gelatin is melted. Skim as necessary and keep warm.
- To make the mosaic: Place a piece of plastic wrap in the bottom of a mold*, holding in place by spraying the mold with water or pan spray before laying down the plastic.
- Place pieces of watermelon and avocado in the mold, alternating red, yellow, and green colors, leaving a tiny space in between each item for the gelatin to settle.
- Pour the gelatin mixture over the mold, making sure to barely cover the watermelon and avocado.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill and set for 1 hour.
For the crab salad
- Gently squeeze the crabmeat to remove any excess moisture.
- Place the crabmeat, lemon zest, mayonnaise, crème fraîche, and chives in a medium mixing bowl. Gently toss the ingredients together until combined.
- Remove the mosaic from mold and place on your serving dish, discarding plastic wrap. If desired, heat spoon or the edge of a knife and smooth the edges of the mosaic.
- Place crab salad on top of mosaic and garnish with micro greens.
Note: *Instead of using an individual mold, the mosaic can be made in a sheet tray
and cut to your desired shape.