Vegan Pasta with Creamy White Bean "Alfredo" Sauce
Yield: 8 Portions
Extra virgin olive oil
White beans, canned, drained, rinsed 15 oz can
Potato, russet, peeled, sliced
Water or white vegetable stock
- Heat a sauté pan over medium low heat. Add the oil, walnuts and chile flakes. Cook over low heat, stirring often until the walnuts are toasted. Add the rosemary and garlic. Let cook for 30 seconds then remove from the heat. Stir in lemon zest. Set aside.
- Heat a saucepot over medium low heat. Add the extra virgin olive oil and garlic. Cook over low heat until the garlic is translucent, soft and just starting to brown. Add the beans, potatoes, and vegetable stock and cook for 10 - 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and tender.
- Blend the bean mixture until smooth. Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and 4 tablespoons of the walnut lemon mixture. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Adjust consistency with water if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pot of boiling lightly salted water according the manufacturer’s instructions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Drain the pasta well. In a sauté pan, toss with the sauce, peas and basil. Adjust consistency with pasta water.
- Place the pasta in a bowl garnish with the Rosemary Lemon Scented Walnuts and micro basil.
Recipe by Chef Toni Sakaguchi at The Culinary Institute of America