Chicken, Pinto Bean, and Chorizo "Pot Pie" with Cheddar Scallion Biscuits
Yield: 6 Portions
Red onions, diced
Garlic clove, finely minced
Carrot, medium, diced
Celery stalk, diced
Thyme, stemmed, chopped
Sage, stemmed, chopped
Flat leaf parsley, chopped
Chicken breast, cut into 1-inch dice
Ancho chili powder
1 1/2 cups
Salt, a pinch
Pinto beans, drained and rinsed, 15 ounce can
Green onions, sliced
1 1/2 cups
Black pepper, ground
Butter, cold, cut into small chunks
Cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup plus ¼ cup for garnish
Green onion, thinly sliced
For the Stew:
- Heat olive oil in a large deep saucepot. Sauté the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, leek, thyme, sage, and parsley until the vegetables are translucent and aromatic--about 5 minutes. Place in a bowl and reserve.
- Remove the casing from the chorizo and place chorizo in the hot pan with the diced chicken. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is a light golden color. Sprinkle with the chili powder, paprika and cook a few more minutes until aromatic.
- Add the reserved vegetables to the meat. Stir.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and vegetable mixture, and stir well to combine.
- Add the chicken stock gradually, stirring as you add to remove any lumps. Bring to a simmer and cook until the gravy thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pinto beans and green onions, season as needed and pour into a casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
For the Biscuits:
- Place the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and sugar in a bowl and whisk well to combine. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mix between your fingers. The mixture should resemble coarse sand.
- Add the ½-cup cheddar cheese and green onion.
- In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk and egg and add to the dry. Working quickly, stir the wet into the dry until combined.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and pat to ½-inch thickness with floured hands. Cut into six equal biscuits.
- Place biscuits on top of the chicken casserole. Sprinkle the tops of the biscuits with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Place in the hot oven and bake 20-30 minutes or until the biscuits have risen, are golden brown and the stew is bubbling vigorously.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving with a green salad.
Recipe by Chef Barbara Alexander