Israeli-Style White Bean Hummus
Yield: 6 large servings; 12 small portions
Great northern beans, dry, sorted
Garlic cloves, peeled and trimmed
Garlic, rough chop
Ground white pepper
- Soak beans overnight in water. Drain.
- Add beans, 2 quarts water, ½ onion, and whole garlic cloves to a pot and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 1.5 hours until fully cooked, skimming the foam at the top often.
- When beans are fully cooked, allow them to cool in the cooking liquid before draining.
- Reserve some of the cooking liquid for processing.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the cooked beans with the cooked onion and garlic, raw garlic, tahini paste, cumin, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- With the machine running, add olive oil and the ice in 3 additions making sure it fully emulsifies between additions.
- Use additional reserved cooking liquid if necessary to adjust consistency.
Recipe by Chef Rebecca Peizer\ Variations: With avocado and pesto as a sandwich spread. With crispy fried white beans as a sauce. With sundried tomatoes as a flavor variation.