Red Grape and BBQ Chicken Pizza with Mozzarella and Fresh Basil
Yield: Two 9-inch pizzas, 8 servings
Pizza dough, 6 oz. balls
Unbleached all-purpose flour, for dusting peel
Barbeque sauce, divided
Chicken breasts, skinless
Fresh mozzarella cheese, preferably mozzarella di bufala, sliced into thin rounds, coarsely shredded, or cut into small chunks
Basil leaves, fresh, torn a last minute
Yield: enough dough for 4-9” pizzas (4-6 oz. dough balls)
1 ½ lb.
- For the BBQ chicken: Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small bowl, toss the chicken breasts with ½ cup of the BBQ sauce. Grill the chicken over medium heat until nicely charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes total. Cool and cut into bite sized pieces.
- To cook the pizza: Place a baking stone on the middle shelf of the oven, unless you know your oven well enough to place it on a different shelf, and preheat to 450° for at least 30 minutes. Make 1 pizza at a time unless your peel and oven can accommodate both pizzas. Roll the dough ball out on a counter and transfer it to a peel or inverted sheet pan that has been dusted with flour.
- Mix the olive oil with the remaining ¼ cup BBQ sauce and spread 2 T. or so of the sauce over the surface of the dough, leaving a ¼-inch border uncovered. Arrange half of the mozzarella over the top of the pizza, and then place half of the diced BBQ chicken evenly over the pizza. Top with 1 cup of the red grapes.
- Carefully slide the pizza from the peel to the baking stone. It should take 10-12 minutes to bake. When it is done, the crust should be puffy and slightly charred on the edge and thinner in the center.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil leaves and 1 T. grated pecorino. Slice into quarters and serve.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make the second pizza.
- Mix the first five ingredients together in a mixer with dough hook. Blend for 2 or 3 minutes
then slowly add the flour. Mix until a smooth elastic dough forms and knead for 12 minutes.
- Allow to proof until doubled in size, punch down, and scale off to 4-ounce balls.
- Brush with oil and place dough in a cool place until ready to cook.
Calories 380 Protein 19 g
Total Fat 13 g Sodium 585 mg 24% DV
Saturated Fat 4 g Potassium 335 mg 10% DV
Trans Fat 0 g Iron 2.3 mg 13% DV
Cholesterol 40 mg Calcium 110 mg 11% DV
Carbohydrate 48 g Vitamin A 200 IU 1% DV
Dietary Fiber 2 g Vitamin C 5 mg 8% DV