Appetites + InnovationThe Culinary Institute of America at Greystone
2016 Appetites + Innovation Program Summary
Designed to advance culinary excellence, health and wellness,
sustainability, and cultures of innovation in retail foodservice, the
first annual convening of this exciting new initiative, which was held
January 18-20, 2016 at the Greystone campus, focused on laying the
foundation for the year-round work in which the invited members will
engage to develop industry solutions. The 2016 inaugural meeting covered
the following topics:
- Disruptions in the marketplace, and how changing consumer demands will impact the retail industry as a whole.
- The need for internal culture shifts within retail foodservice, at both
the individual store and corporate management levels, to foster a more
chef-centric culture with a focus on food quality.
- Culinary approaches to incorporating authentic Mediterranean, Spanish, and Asian flavors into the retail food experience.
- An overview of current nutrition science, recommendations, and labeling
requirements, and how prepared foods at retail can meet guest and
market demands for healthy, convenient, and sustainable offerings.
- The physical environment of prepared foods and dine-in food outlets as a
way to engage the guest in an increasingly competitive space of food
service and delivery options.
The meeting also drew upon the
practical expertise and insights of the retail and corporate members to
share industry-wide challenges and best practices through a series of
member panels and forums on the above topics.
From this meeting
forward, A+I members will stay connected throughout the year through a
series of working groups, as they set out to advance shared objectives
and accelerate innovation that will benefit the entire sector.