Rösti Potatoes | Print This Recipe
- 4 lb/1.81 kg russet potatoes
- 4 fl oz/120
mL clarified butter, or as needed
- Salt, as needed
- Ground black pepper, as needed
- 2 oz/57 g whole butter, or as
- Scrub the potatoes and place them in a large stock pot. Add
cold water to cover by 2 in/5 cm. Bring to a simmer and parcook until the potatoes are cooked about halfway, about 20 minutes. Drain and dry
them over low heat or on a sheet pan in a 300°F/149°C oven until no more steam
rises from them, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes as soon as they are cool enough to handle
and grate them on the coarse side of a box grater.
- Heat a rösti or sauté pan over
high heat. Ladle in some of the clarified butter. Layer enough grated potato in
the pan to make a single, uniform layer. Lightly drizzle the layer with a little additional butter and season with salt and pepper.
Repeat with the remaining potatoes, butter, salt, and pepper. Dot the outside
edge with pieces of whole butter.
- Cook the potatoes until they are golden brown and form a
cake, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the entire cake, dot the edge with more whole
butter, and cook the second side until the potatoes are fully cooked and tender
and the crusts are golden brown and crisp. Turn the cake out of the pan, cut
into servings, and serve immediately.
Recipe taken from: The Professional Chef, 9th Edition