Puerto Rican Creole Sauce
|Olive oil||1½ oz.|
|Cubanelle peppers||5 ea.|
|Onion, small, chopped||2 ea.|
|Capers, small||3 Tbsp.|
|Green olives, chopped||2 Tbsp.|
|Bay leaves||4 ea.|
|Spanish tomato sauce, goya||2½ qt.|
|Recao leaves, chopped||15 ea.|
|White vinegar||3 Tbsp.|
|Salt and pepper|
- In a medium-size rondeau, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sweat the peppers, onion, and garlic until translucent.
- Add the sofrito and cook for 5 minutes.
- Continue by adding the tomato sauce, bay leaves, capers, olives, white vinegar, and sugar, and simmer until the consistency of marinara sauce has been achieved, approximately 20 minutes.
- Correct seasoning with salt and pepper and finish with chopped recao.
- The final sauce should have a lightly sweet.